Monday, February 6, 2017

Five Day Headband Challenge

I took the #5dayheadbandchallenge from Solene Le Roux  known on Instagram as @soleneknits &  Ravelry as soleneknits, and you can find her website at www.soleneknits.com.  She has some lovely patterns and you can also buy them from her Ravelry store.

Monday, January 30, was our day to gather inspiration from around the net and other places, as well as post in the Facebook group and Instagram using the above hashtag.  I made the collage below featuring a lot of texture and even a size chart for reference. You can follow me on Instagram @kraziknitz to see even more pictures.



Tuesday, January 31, was the time to search for the stitch patterns we wanted to try and to swatch two types of headbands, one knit flat and the other in the round.  So I did a swatch of  a three color chain stitch for the one in the round.  A hugs and kisses cable graces the flat swatch. Both were knit in Cascade 220 left from felting projects  Both stitch types were new for me, so it truly was a challenge by itself even to swatch.
 

Wednesday, February 1, was our headband in the round.  We received instructions for taking measurements and figuring how many stitches to cast on for our headbands. Solene provided a handy chart for our use and a lovely schematic as well. I changed my color scheme and produced this lovely headband.


The following day, Thursday, February 2 our email prompted us to make our flat headband, which we could seam together or graft.  I chose to graft using the Kitchener stitch grafting technique. I produced the following little headband, but I did have a place where I messed up one of the cable crosses. It wasn't too obvious, otherwise I would have seen it sooner and fixed it. As it was near the beginning and didn't scream at me to be fixed, I chalked it up to a learning experience.  Now I'm going to take a challenge later in the month about cables and how to correct them. 



Day 5, was Friday,  February 3 and it was our day to go wild and try something totally different.  Everything I had done to this point was new to me, so I splurged and tried some color work using a three color linen stitch. I believe it came out quite lovely, if I do say so myself. I love the geometric feel and play of colors.  Did I mention that each day there was a live stream, where we could ask questions and get some tutorials?  There will also be prizes awarded later in the week on a random basis.


The best part of all of it was the inspiration that I received by this simple act of applying various stitch techniques to a basic headband recipe.  I am actually in the process of designing some baby headbands for a future grandniece, who is set to make her debut this summer.  I am looking forward to my next challenge, which is starting later this week. 

More on the Toe Up Sock Challenge starting Wednesday February 8th later in the week.

Happy knitting and don't be afraid to try something new.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Leave them here!