Friday, July 6, 2018

Canova Beach Made Ravelry Hot Right Now Top 20 and how I arrived there...

Just a quick note to say thanks to anyone who favorited, liked, queued or otherwise supported Canova Beach on its release date of 06/29!

It made it to Ravelry's Hot Right Now Top 20 and stayed there for a few hours! A tremendous accomplishment according to my design instructor, Francoise Danoy of Aroha Knits.  I studied her approach to knitwear design through her signature on-line design course Swatch Studio a bit over a year ago.

I had forty plus knit/felted designs but knew I could do more than that tiny niche, but lacked the courage and drive to try. I had all but given up designing, when I spotted a post about a design workshop being hosted by Frenchie (her nickname) and I was intrigued. I had taken her 5 Shawls 5 Days Challenge previously, so I knew a bit about her.

The Initiate Knit Design workshop helps demystify knitwear design and provides an easy to follow framework that Frenchie herself uses. I took the workshop and had an idea, which became my first post-felting design Infinite Surf. I learned from the challenge that Frenchie has infinite patience and gives a lot of time and effort into her workshop. The free 10 day workshop took me from inspiration to fleshed out idea to the beginnings of a written pattern and design sample.

When the opportunity came to sign up for Swatch Studio, I jumped on it and was the first one to sign up for that round.  Of course, early bird prices and a coaching call with Frenchie were also inducements, because for the first time in ages I felt empowered that I could do this.

I can recommend this workshop for anyone who may have toyed with the idea of designing or just simply curious about the design process. I known other knitters who have taken the workshop as a way of improving their own understanding of knitting and knitting construction.

I have rediscovered my passion for design and have been working on new designs ever since. I have made many friends in this wonderful supportive community and am grateful for their friendship and support.

If you are interested in taking the design challenge, you may sign up for it at www.initiateknitdesign.com.  I've signed up again for my fifth or sixth round because each time I get fresh idea. It starts again on July 16, so I hope I see you there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Leave them here!