Friday, March 3, 2017

Colorwork Catalyst Workshop with Francoise Danoy of Aroha Knits

Francoise Danoy aka Frenchie of Aroha Knits just release several colorwork patterns using mosaic knitting and other colorwork techniques.  She has a great bundle of patterns that you can buy as a group on Ravelry or at her website Aroha Knits.  She recently hosted the 5 shawls in 5 days challenge in January, but this was a more casual arrangement.

We got a lesson in selecting colors based on a color wheel.  We were challenged to pick several combinations before settling on one that we wished to use for the workshop. I chose these, but settled on one finally. That was Day 1.


Day 2 was reading colorwork charts.  We received examples of colorwork charts and saw a video on how it works and our homework was to work with the numbers and learn to follow the patterns.



Day 3 had a video and swatch for us to knit using Intarsia, which involves using little bobbins of color. We were lucky that our homework only required two colors. Intarsia involves blocks or spots of color in the middle of area.  Yarns are twisted so that you don't have gaps or holes.  They are good for designs requiring individual or multiple splotches or blocks of color.  I chose to work with the heliotrope and light lime.



Day 4 had another video and more homework.  Mosaic knitting is worked one color at a time and is knitting stripes in a fancy slipped stitch pattern. If I did it again, I might have chosen garter stitch only because stockinette curls.  I took a real close up,  because otherwise my swatch was sort of ugly with curled edges and all.  Mosaic also uses more yarn than I imagined.




Day 5 took a couple of days,because stranded knitted is best worked in the round.  Instead of a swatch, I decided to knit a hat that I could send off to my favorite place to send warm things. The Pineridge Reservation.  I have a series of pictures that shows the progress of my hat over a couple of days. This type of knitting also uses much more yarn, carried across the back as floats.  That will provide extra warmth in those areas, especially if you are using wool.



Overall, I had a great time with this workshop, which was more casual and worked at your own pace. I'm not quite so nervous about the types of colorwork any longer.  I will probably knit these types of colorwork again in the future, but now I'm not afraid of it any longer.

Thanks, Frenchie! You helped me get over my fear of colorwork and gave me a gentle kick in the pants to get off my duff and give it a try.💖💙💚💛💜

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Leave them here!