Thursday, March 23, 2017

Mariner Toe-Up Knit-A-Long (KAL)

For the last two weeks, I have been involved in a KAL for a pair of toe-up socks with a fairisle motif of anchors, hence the name Mariner.  Katalin Beth had a 5-day toe-up sock challenge, along with videos and written instructions, she also included Facebook live instructional guides.  A good time was had by most, if not all, participants.  Then she offer us a discount on a new pattern called Mariner, and the rest is history.  I  previously blogged about choosing the color combos, but now I will share my progress through words and pictures. Mostly pictures.
My final color choices

 March 10

I did have to start my first sock over
a couple of times, because working with navy blue yarn took a toll on my eyes.
Then there was the first set of fairisle charts and I had to do a bit back up and start again (a couple of more times). But I wouldn't let it beat me and I finally got started on the striped part of the foot.


March 12
March 14
A few more stripes and I was ready for the Afterthought Heel- Part 1, putting a provisional row of stitches in so you can go back later and add the heel.
Then more stripes.


March 15

March 16
More stripes and another set of fairisle anchor motifs, then the cuff and the Very Stretchy Bind Off. I did change to size 2 needles for the cuff.  And then for the Afterthought Heel-Part 2, which has another little motif of flecks. The color combination was reversed making the yellow the main color with navy flecks. One sock done and one to go.






March 19


March 20
I wasn't about to let second sock syndrome settle in, so I jumped right back on the horse and kept going.  Sock number two started out a bit better, than sock one and progressed faster as well.
Plugging along and trying to make it to the finish line. Fairisle to stripes, then the part one of the heel.




March 21

March 22
After the afterthought "zipper", more stripes, fairisle and the cuff.  Again a bit tight, even though I tried to knit the fairisle part loosely below the cuff.  I may trade up to a size 2 for the whole sock next time. Once I get my foot past that section the socks fit great. So as you can see below I have two beautiful socks.  I think they look pretty good. I had a great time knitting them.


So if you would like to try toe-up socks with a little a little nautical motif, these are the socks for you.  They can be found at Katalin Beth's website.  You can also find her on Ravelry at http://www.ravelry.com/designers/Katalin-Beth.  She also has a Facebook group called Katalin Beth Fibre Central, where she hosts challenges, knit-a-longs, test knits and all manner of fibery fun. It is a private group, but you can ask to join and be admitted to the party.
March 23- TahDah! My socks!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Questions? Leave them here!